More Notes, More Info!
- The birth control pill (BCP) contains small amounts of estrogen (female dominant hormones).
- Estrogen can increase thyroid binding globulin (taxi service for thyroid hormones). The more thyroid hormones are bound to these taxis the slower the person’s metabolism= weight gain. If you do not have insurance you can order affordable thyroid blood test yourself along with thyroid binding globulin test.
- This can cause “Functional Hypothyroidism” meaning that your laboratory test may look OK but you will not.
- Excess estrogen from the BCP can build up in body tissue and “leak out” over time creating a hypothyroidism state even after quitting the BCP.
- Excess estrogens can be detoxified by increasing phase 1 and phase 2 liver detoxification. However, blood sugar issues (functional or pathological (i.e. diabetes)) must be stabilized first. Many young women today are functional hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) which can alter thyroid function.
- Those who refuse to quit the BCP, phase 1 and phase 2 liver detoxification must be supported
- Those who are on the BCP for other feminine problems and want to minimize long-term side effects, the cause of those underlying problems (acne, irregular periods, etc.) must be identified first. From there a comprehensive plan can be developed to restore normal function. That means a healthier you and not someone who becomes dependent on medication.
We encourage you to take action in your health goals whether it is addressing a chronic health problem or creating a wellness plan to prevent disease in the future. Become part of our team. True health is not easily achieved alone.
Our goal is to identify and address the “spider web” of biological dysfunctions that play a role in chronic diseases. We do this through our clinic in Atlanta, Georgia and around the world through our TeleHealth phone/video consultation service.
Dr. Brady Hurst
Clinic Director at True Health Labs