- Thyroid Gland- Gland that sits just below your “Adams Apple”. It helps control the rate of energy production and conservation.
- Hypothyroidism- “Turning down the thermostat” for most of your biological activities.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is an auto-immune disease where your body attacks it’s own Thyroid tissue. Imbalances are seen in the immune system’s TH1 / TH2 responses, imbalances that typically come about when chronically exposed to an antigen (virus, bacteria, foods, everyday chemicals etc.) Immune Imbalances can lead to auto-immune diseases like Hashimoto’s.
- Suspect Hashimoto’s if you are on medications for hypothyroidism like Synthroid and they “just don’t work”.
- Functional Medicine Practitioners may test for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO Antibodies) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGA Antibodies), which are the white blood type cells that attack the Thyroid gland.
- Most people with Hashimoto’s have an inborn error in processing vitamin D, which is important in the stability of the immune system. One should conceder ordering a vitamin D test (25 Hydroxy D) to check for optimal vitamin D levels (50-70 ng/ml).
- Situations that make Hashimoto’s worse: Gluten Intolerance
- 95% of symptoms will go away when gluten is eliminated.
- Iodine- This can increase oxidative stress on the Thyroid (see Jodbasedow phenomenon).
- Sugar handling issues (hypoglycemia/insulin resistance/diabetes).
- Intestinal infections- Theses go undetected most of the time (AKA YOU CAN NOT FEEL THEM). Stool testing is crucial.
- Unbalanced hormones.
- Heavy metal burdens- We all have a degree of heavy metal burden, however, higher levels of metals like mercury, arsenic, and antimony can promote major immune system dysfunction. You yourself can test for heavy metal burden with a simple hair test.
If this information helped you, please pass it on to others so they may be helped in the same way.
Dr. Brady Hurst